When the topic of death and dying comes up in conversation the first thing we hear is, “I want to be cremated.”, but how many people know the next steps to take when someone passes away who expressed it was their wish to be cremated? It is important to educate yourself on what to do next in case you are ever faced with this difficult and emotional situation.
- When someone you know passes away, it is important to do your research before choosing a funeral provider. Ask yourself if the funeral home offers the services you had in mind and whether their pricing fits into your budget.
- Do not be afraid to call funeral homes and ask questions. At Vancouver Cremations we have licensed funeral directors available 5 days a week to answer questions by phone, email, or online chat.
- Once you have decided on a funeral provider, make the call to let them know your loved one has passed away and the funeral home will initiate a transfer to bring them into their care. We are located in New Westminster but will transfer from most places in the Greater Vancouver area (Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Langley, Mission, Abbotsford, and more).
- After your loved one is in the care of the funeral home, you will connect with a funeral director to make all the necessary arrangements. Some funeral homes will have you meet in person while others, like Vancouver Cremations, can do all the arrangements electronically by email for convenience.
- When the arrangements are complete, cremation can take place and it is the family’s decision on what they would like to do with the cremated remains (ashes). Urns can be buried, kept at home, shipped internationally or the remains can be scattered somewhere meaningful.